If your similar to most people you have never heard of a Content Management System, short for CMS. This is critical to the success of almost every website, and yet many businesses and organizations are not familiar with this technology. A good question always comes up as we talk with potential clients on the subject.
What is this tool and why is it so effective?
What is this tool?
A ‘web content management’ (WCM) system is a CMS designed to simplify the publication of Web content to Web sites, in particular allowing content creators to submit content without requiring technical knowledge of HTML or the uploading of files.
You have a website that has grown organically over time, much of the content is out-of-date, updating the website is very complex, its hard to find things, and the appearance is becoming dated. Its now to the point where you’ve lost track of where pages are in the website. You might have a skilled Webmaster that does this all for you, but even for them the updates are becoming a burden. You can’t remember what was on the site last week, or last month. If this sounds about right, you’re not alone. In fact, it’s the way most maintain their website, using manual tools such as Frontpage or Dreamweaver. This is where Content Management System comes in, to clean the mess.
- CMS allows you to update your website through the back-end of your website, by logging in as an administrator, and updating your site directly through the Internet. This is very powerful as anyone can update the website from anywhere as long as they have Internet.
- The old fashion of updating content of a website is to edit locally on your computer then uploading it through a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) program. This is tedious and time consuming, having a chance of overwriting documents by accident or loosing data.
- While with CMS, you have the ability to auto save files (archives) and go back to a previous saved version of the page if you accidentally deleted something.
- Add content without any technical knowledge of HTML.
- Control and maintain your newsletter subscribers and send out HTML emails directly through your CMS system.
Why is it so effective? Business benefits
- Reduces site maintenance costs
- Fast publishing process
- Faster turnaround time for new pages and changes
- Great consistency
- Improved site flow and navigation
- Greater security
- Reduced duplication of information
- Superior capacity for growth
- Increased site flexibility
Besides the above, the greatest asset to the CMS is to support your business strategies and goals. These are all the reasons why Sayenko Design is operated on a CMS system and integrates this system into majority of our client websites. If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to ask, we would love to help.